Monday, September 14, 2009

Pikachu

Two guys sat in front of me at a coffee shop today playing Pokemon... Legit pokemon with collectors cards and everything. I learned more about pros and cons of WOW vs. Starcraft in my fifty minute session on the couch than I ever would have in my own efforts to stay updated with technology. I mean, they clearly loved the game. About Pokemon, these boys were passionate. Everything in me wanted to sit down next to them and lay down a Gym Hero - Gust of Wind and watch them be amazed at my noob tendencies, but I remained hidden behind my studies of foramina.

Literally two hours before, my edgy-a-line-cut-eye-lined waitress at lunch sat down at our table and said, and I quote, "Girrrrrl, whatchu wont'n to be eating today? I got some mean ritas waiting in the back for girls just like you." We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch, sin her suggestions, but truly benefitted from her utter lack of concern for sterotyped judgments. Had I not had the privilege of talking to her just a little bit, I would have easily placed her in a labeled shelf somewhere near the "eccentric outsiders searching for molded acceptance." And how crumby that would have been, to strip her of any common sense of unique dignity anyone deserves. This girl was unlike anyone I had met before, and I immediately scolded her for being any different, while secretly wished I was naturally as outgoing as she seemed.

There I was, in both cases, observing somewhat from a sideline, weighing the cost of joining in against the status quo, and resigning finally to common, normal, acceptance. I have decided that it reeks. It's lame. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things to be normal. Infact, it disgusts me.

So next time I overhear the word Pikachu, I am hopping right in with my Wondercard. Who knows, maybe I will learn something about being uninhibitedly passionate. Pretend anime character or not; I can definitely learn something from their followers.

"I have made you a holy nation, a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness and into his marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9



No comments:

Post a Comment