Thursday, September 24, 2009

more on change...


You know, the first time I smoked hookah I broke the resevoir.The sheesha went flying and ashes spread all the way across some dude's living room floor. As if my coughing at every puff wasn't sign enough that I was out of my usual circle of comfort, my uneasy giggle and shoeless feet screamed "newbie."

It was an adventure. Everything about it was new and exciting. This obsession with fresh, change, might get me in trouble soon. It is not too conducive to solid schedules or disciplined lessons learned. It does, however, make for a few unplanned excitements (as long as interruptions are deemed opportunities) - Like LJ's trip to the hospital, or Schnook's need to saran wrap the FJ in the middle of the night. ..
And as exciting as late night endeavors are, the next morning always kills. It is a matter of deciding whether the "buzz" is really worth it. . .
Last night I had the privilege of sharing in a room of strangers, all singing freely to our God, strumming guitars, painting canvases, some were having intentional conversations, and others reading scripture. And while I didn't know the ins and outs of these people's lives, we shared a common bond. We all serve the same God.

El Roi. The God Who Sees Me.

Despite change of circumstance or attitude, despite efforts and failed attempts, he sees me as HIS.

I will no doubt continue to enjoy change on a daily basis in my life, but I hesitate to forget the grace that places me in the position I am today. Redeemed. No matter how many new artists rock my world or flavors of sheesha there continue to be, I will rest in the fact that my God remains the same, and his view of me does not change based on how exciting or new I am.

"Hagar called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, "A God of seeing," for she said, "Truly here I have seen him who looks after me." And the well was called this, The God who sees."
Genesis 16:13-14

1 comment: