Friday, September 11, 2009

ovens.

I think I am kind of like an oven.

Take for instance, my mom's amazing cake. It takes time. Certain parts of the cake are really tasty at first, but if you rush the baking process, the entire consistency is all messed up, and you are left with a sloshy goo of gritty batter (the batter is generally incredibly yummy, but that is beside the point).

I am always really anxious to eat the best parts of the cake that I rarely wait the full bake time in order that it be cooked all the way through - and when I pull the test tooth-pick out, residue is indubitably left on the wooden stick.

Waiting is a rough process. I will wait. Someone told me those very words the other night with such peace and confidence and I was blown away. Waiting requires hope that the end product will be far more satisfying and well worth what you are currently passing up. Sometimes hoping against all hope. Paul reminds the churches in Romans to cling to hope in hard times and good, remembering always exactly what we have been redeemed from. So regardless of my desires toward immediate gratification and happiness, the reward is far outweighed by the end result.

I know full well that many processes in my life require time and equal attention. Similar to an oven. Actually, just like an oven. I am learning to wait, as hard as it is, till the toothpick comes out clean. The cake is way better that way.

"You, by the help of your God return, hold fast to love and justice, and wait continually for your God. " Hosea 12:6

No comments:

Post a Comment